Lighting can become a costly endeavor for most businesses. For locations including coolers as part of their storage solution, there are a few key elements to finding the perfect option. This is an area of lighting that must meet certain requirements. Here are a few tips on choosing the right cooler lighting applications for your needs.
- Opt for LED in larger units. A larger unit will pull more energy naturally than a smaller unit. LED lights offer higher lumen outputs per watt so they are ideal for larger units to help save on energy costs. A more affordable option like a fluorescent bulb may still be ideal for smaller units, but make sure it is suitable for damp locations.
- Choose fixtures that are wet listed and sealed. Coolers will naturally have condensation which can wreak havoc on your lighting solution. If you are constantly replacing bulbs or even fixtures due to damage, you are throwing money away. There are a ton of lighting solutions that can be used in wet or damp locations. You can also check the NEMA and IP rating to make sure the fixtures you choose are ideal for that area.
- Placement matters. Lights should be placed so they highlight the product. You want to light products from the front and top as opposed to the back and bottom. When lights are projected onto an item, they will inevitably create shadows. The goal is to push the shadows towards the back of the display unit by casting the most light upfront on the actual products.
- Light the width of your display cooler fully. If you have a display cooler and the light overhead only runs part of the actual width, you end up with edges that are shadowy. This may impact the products located on the sides of the shelves in a negative manner. Make sure you choose lighting that covers as much of the measured width as possible.
- Consider the use of lighting guards. From aluminum cages to unbreakable covers made of polycarbonate, protecting your lighting investment is always a good idea. Consider the use of vapor tight lighting in larger coolers, such as walk-ins, and shatter proof covers in smaller units to help extend the life of the lighting solution.
When choosing the right cooler lighting applications, the main focus in on durability and performance. With lighting designed to handle damp locations that is properly placed, you can successfully illuminate these important areas of your business!