Are Lighting Circuits Protected by RCD?

While lighting may seem pretty straightforward, there are several elements working behind the scenes to get the result of a standard fixture. When it comes to circuits and RCD protection, you may have a few questions. Here’s what you need to know about this topic for your home or business.

What is an RCD?

Residual current devices (RCD) is a safety switch intended to protect humans from electrical currents or shocks. Since electrocution can be deadly, it is an essential component of almost any light solutions. However, it is important to note that safety practices must be in place, and this device is not a guarantee of protection against shocks. It should also be made clear that many times people will ensure these devices are installed in their lighting solutions, yet fail to routinely check if they are still operational. An RCD is only as effective as it is functional so regularly check them for failure or damage.

How does it work?

An RCD works by detecting leaks in electrical currents which may pose a risk of shock. For example, electrical currents are intended to travel through selected conduits for safe electrical power, and when there is a leak in that conduit, electrical power can be placed where it causes a shock hazard to people. The RCD works by detecting those leaks and then disconnecting the power source of the electrical current to reduce the risk. While some shocks may still occur, the RCD greatly reduces the intensity of the shock if one is felt.

Are lighting circuits protected by RCD?

Another question many people have about this aspect of lighting is whether or not it protects the circuit of a light solution. While an RCD will not prevent a blown circuit, it will certainly alert you to an issue with the circuitry overall. If a lighting solution is constantly using the RCD and shutting off power to protect humans from getting shocked, there is already a problem with your circuitry of the fixture. Many people think a circuit issue is a lack of power, but in reality, most of the time it is caused by excessive electrical currents traveling outside of the acceptable conduits of the solution.