Planning a lighting layout is never easy. When planning daycare lighting, it can seem even trickier. Here are a few tips to make finding the right daycare lighting a little easier.
• With daycare lighting, you need options that are going to offer the illumination power you need to ensure the safety and success of the children. This means having lights that can eliminate any potential safety concerns due to poor visibility or improper planning. Children also need lighting that allows enough illumination to play and learn new skills.
• Make sure you choose general lighting options that are out of reach of children. For example, daycares should not rely on lamps plugged into electrical outlets. This leads to potential safety issues such as electrocution from playing with the outlet or cord, pulling the lamp down on themselves causing injuries, or even burns from touching a light bulb. Remember, children, especially young ones at a daycare, are curious and protecting them from potential incidents should be your top priority.
• Use recessed lighting or surface mounted lighting placed up high for general lighting. With daycare lighting, you want widespread illumination for an evenly dispersed scope of light. This also eliminates the issue of cords and electrical outlets while keeping lighting solutions overhead and out of the way.
• Consider the temperature output of the lighting solution. Even with lighting that is mounted in the ceiling and away from children, there is still an element of heat to think about. Lights that produce heat as part of their operation will naturally raise the temperature slightly in the daycare. While it may not be a noticeable difference to adults, children are much more sensitive to changes in temperature. Choose options that produce little to no heat such as fluorescents and LEDs over higher heat options like metal halide bulbs.
• Choose lighting based on lumen output, not watts. Many people make the mistake of choosing their lighting based on watts. What you really want to consider is the lumen output compared to the watt. If a light source has a high watt with high lumen output versus an option with low watts and high lumen output, you want the lower watt option because it will consume less energy than the higher watt option.
• Install timers and dimmers. Lighting is expensive, even when you choose an energy efficient option. Installing timers allows you to have lights automatically turn on and off as needed. Dimmers are especially useful in daycares for nap time or quiet time since children receive signals from the lighting levels.
When planning the lighting for a daycare, the most important factor will always be child-friendly options that are safe. After that is taken care of, there are several other things to look at to ensure you find the right solutions. With these tips to guide you, find the perfect lighting solutions with ease!
You May Also Like...
4 or 6 Inch LED Round Wafer Down Light, 120V, CCT Selectable: 2700K/3000K/3500K/4000K/5000K
2 x 4 Foot TriLum Back Lit LED Flat Panel, 120-277V, Selectable Wattage and CCT
Other People Have Considered These Products...
Browse through our large assortment of recessed lighting. We've got the LED recessed lighting to fit our space and style. Recessed lights are a great lighting option that won't take up any space in your room. Shop for recessed lighting at Warehouse Lighting.View (153) Products
See the selection of troffer lights we have in stock at warehouse-lighting.com. LED troffer lights are a great option for lighting a large area without being obtrusive. These troffer light fixtures are designed to be durable and reliable, giving you peace of mind. Order your troffer lights from Warehouse Lighting.View (116) Products
You May Also Be Interested in These Articles...
Ensure that you are using the best playroom lighting for the safety of your little ones. Here are a few tips to help guide you.Read Article
School lighting is an important area of the learning environment. Without adequate illumination, learning can be less focused and less effective. When it comes to choosing the right classroom light...Read Article
If you are aiming to tackle the issue of school lighting, there are a few things you should keep in mindRead Article
Consider Watching These Videos as Well...
LCD LED Center Basket Troffer
Lighting is an important aspect of any setting. When it comes to finding an LED option perfect for your retail or office location, our LCD LED center basket troffer is a great option.Watch Video
Center Basket Troffer
Finding the right lighting solution can be difficult. With our center basket troffer, get the performance you deserve with a fixture that looks great at the same time.Watch Video