Why Do LEDs Make the Best Shop Lights?
LED technology has revolutionized the lighting industry, particularly in work areas. There are many benefits to using LED commercial shop lights:
- Long-Lasting: LED lights can go for as long as 50,000 hours (or up to 20 years). This is twice the average life of fluorescent lights and 50x as long as incandescent and halogen lights. Because you won't have to replace the lights as often, you save time and maintenance costs.
- Efficient: Incandescent bulbs use the most energy. Here is how LEDs and other lighting types compare to incandescent bulbs:
- LED lights use 80% less energy
- Fluorescent lights use 75% less energy
- Halogen lights use 30% less energy
- Cooler: Unlike other types of lighting, LED bulbs remain cool to the touch.
- Adaptable: You can retrofit existing fluorescent shop lights with LED shop light fixtures.
- Durable: LED lights are made using strong polycarbonate material. Because shop lights typically reside near tabletops and workbenches, they are vulnerable to damage by tools and machinery. Their sturdy nature makes them the perfect lighting choice in your shop.
- Mercury-Free: Fluorescent bulbs contain mercury. Because they are more prone to breaking, this can present a hazard to your workers. Also, unlike LED lights, fluorescent bulbs need to be disposed of in designated receptacles.
- Positionable: LED lights enjoy directional lighting. This is helpful for LED shop lights, which can be positioned to provide the light where it's needed.
What Are The Different Types of LED Shop Lighting?
LED shop lights have been used in various lighting fixtures for workspaces and are ideally suited to provide the illumination needed to perform detailed work. Typically, shop lights are round or rectangular and suspended from the ceiling using chains. Shop lights are generally brighter than other types of lighting to accommodate workplace demands. There are three essential types of LED shop lighting:
High Bay LED Lighting
Designed to illuminate large spaces with tall ceilings, high bay LED lights create powerful illumination that covers a long range while focusing light more directly than old-fashioned incandescent bulbs. Consequently, high bay LED shop light fixtures are ideal for commercial and industrial locations, like retail stores and warehouses. You can select from traditional LED linear high bay lights or more contemporary UFO LED high bay lights – so named because they resemble unidentified flying objects. Additionally, LED high bay vapor tight fixtures are ideal for workspace locations that are exposed to wet conditions.
Low Bay Lights
What is the ceiling height in your warehouse or work space? If you have lower ceilings, you'll want to consider using LED low bay lights. This type of fixture provides powerful lighting that's also cost- and energy-efficient.
Industrial LED Strip Lighting
These linear fixtures come in various lengths and mounting styles. Long, slim and efficient, industrial LED strip lights provide a measure of illumination to your work space. You may choose surface-mounted LED strip lights, ones that are affixed to the ceiling or more compact LED strip lights for smaller areas. (Caution: Strip lighting should not be confused with a "flexible LED strip," which is used for accent lighting projects.)
Where Are LED Shop Light Fixtures Installed?
Warehouses are home to commercial LED shop lights, but other workspaces also use these types of fixtures, including:
- Shopping Malls
- Exhibition Rooms
- Home Workshops
Choosing The Right LED Shop Lights For Your Workspace
Along with the ceiling height and positioning, the type of LED shop lights you choose will be based on other factors, including:
- Lumens: Unlike other types of lighting measured in watts, the brightness of an LED light is measured in lumens. LED lights consume less energy than other types of lighting. For instance, it takes an LED light 13-15 watts of energy to output 800 lumens – an incandescent bulb would have to be 60 watts to achieve the same output.
- Color Rendering Index (CRI): This is the measure of a light's ability to reveal colors compared to natural lighting. In LED bulbs, the color rendering index is 80-90. If the tasks performed in your shop call for color accuracy, you should choose LED lighting with a CRI of 82 or more. Check the LED light specification to ensure you're getting a product with the proper CRI rating.
- Color Temperature: This refers to how yellow or blue your LED light is. If you're trying to create a relaxed environment, choose lower color temperatures. Here is a breakdown:
- 2700K light produces a warm, golden-white light.
- 3000K light gives off a soft, warm white light.
- 3500K-4000K emits bright, warm white light.
- 5000K creates a cool white light that's ideal for determining color prints and textiles. This is typically recommended for shop lighting.
- 5700K gives off a light blue glow.
LED Shop Light Mounting Options
Based on your space, where you position your LED shop lights (and the mount you use) will affect their output efficiency. Here are the available mounting options for your LED shop lighting fixtures:
- Suspended Mounts: Chains are used to hang these LED shop lights from the ceiling.
- Ceiling Mounts: LED shop lighting fixtures with ceiling mounts are affixed directly to the ceiling.
- Track Lighting: Although not typically used in shop settings, smaller spaces may benefit from the flexibility provided by track lighting fixtures, which are mounted to a track that's attached to the ceiling.
- Wall Mounts: These are light fixtures attached to the wall. You'll use wall mounts in hallways, stairwells and other small spaces to provide illumination.
Can I Convert My Current Fixtures to Industrial LED Shop Lights?
We have kits that enable you to convert your current setup to accommodate LED shop lighting. You can select from the following conversion kits:
Light Up Your Space With LED Shop Lights From Warehouse-Lighting.com
LED shop lighting is the energy-efficient, cost-effective solution for every task. Whether you're lighting a warehouse or a small workshop, Warehouse-Lighting.com has the LED shop lights for your space. Once you've spec'd out your work area, shop for the lighting solutions that work for you. We're also available if you need to contact us about any of our products. Let us light the way!Shop All Shop Lights
Related Articles: LED Shop Lights
Does your workspace have tall ceilings? We'll help you find the perfect high bay LED light fixtures.
What you need to know about choosing a machine shop lighting application.
Find some suggestions for fabrication workshop lighting to help you determine your needs.