Every location has lighting needs unique to the location. When it comes to dance studio lighting, there are special considerations to keep in mind. Here are a few tips on choosing the best dance studio lighting for your location.
- Track lighting is ideal. There are many fixture types available, but directional track lighting is a mainstay in studios because it offers adequate illumination without being overpowering. It can also be directed easily to achieve the desired directional beam output. For instance, if the studio has wall to ceiling mirrors, as most dance studios tend to employ, the direction can be aimed so that it falls just above the mirrors to avoid a glare.
- Sconces are a sensible choice. The other most commonly seen lighting solution in dance studio lighting is sconce lighting. This style of fixture is ideal because it uses uplight for the most part. While there are sconces that offer more downlight than uplight, or even equal amounts of both directional outputs, uplights work well because they provide soft illumination that won’t interfere with the student’s visibility. Sconces should not be the only source of light for the dance studio. Scones should be an additional light source and not the main source of illumination.
- The type of bulbs is important. There are drawbacks and benefits to each type of bulb available for dance studio lighting. Halogens are long lasting, but can create more heat in a space that needs to stay more comfortable and cool. Incandescent bulbs aren’t as long lasting, but they offer lower temperatures and a soft light that is easy on eyes. LED is the longest lasting and lowest temperature, but it tends to have poor color rendering and the white light can be too harsh for this location. Most dance studios opt for fluorescent bulbs and combine it with natural light where applicable.
- Combine different light fixtures for the best results. A well-designed lighting plan for studios should have track lighting, sconces, and natural light for the best mix. It is important to also note that lighting should be varied throughout the different areas of the studio. For instance, the lobby area should be bright for filling out any paperwork while the dance space should be softer to avoid distractions.
- Use natural light when possible. Natural light can be a great resource for a dance studio. If the space has large windows that face away from potential distractions, it can be a great asset. If the building faces distractions, windows should be placed higher up to avoid any issues.
You May Also Like...
4 Inch LED Cusp Disk Light, Surface Mount, 10 Watt, 120V, 650 Lumens, 2700K, 3000K, 4000K or 5000K
Condor G2 Premium LED High Bay, 90 watt, 11790 Lumens, 5000K, Comparable to 4 lamp T5, 6 Lamp 32W T8 or 250 watt HID
Other People Have Considered These Products...
Make the most of your high ceiling space with our LED high bay shop lights in several options and wattages. These are a great solution to help save on lighting costs over time. Wide selection of quality long lasting Linear, UFO and Traditional Round at a cost effective price in stock.View (138) Products
You May Also Be Interested in These Articles...
Dance Studio Lighting Ideas
With our suggestions for dance studio lighting, find the right fixture for this environment with ease. From mount to lamps, we cover it all.Read Article
When planning lighting for a gym setting, there are a lot of options in terms of function and style. In addition to all the choices available on the market, a gym also has several different areas a...Read Article
Karate Dojo Lighting
When it comes to karate dojo lighting, there are a few ways to save money while providing students with illumination. Find out more!Read Article
Consider Watching These Videos as Well...
Aries I-UFO High Bay Light
Watch our Aries I-UFO High Bay Light Product Review video. Our videos will educate you so that you can confidently purchase and install LED light fixtures, whether they are for a new installa...Watch Video
Condor LED High Bay Lighting fixtures 110w, 220w, 320w
When choosing lighting for your location, there are many factors at play in making the right decision. From considerations such as price and size to other concerns regarding durability and...Watch Video