There are many types of lighting. When it comes to lighting areas that require special specifications or products, it is important to choose the right option to avoid any future issues. One such area would be freezer lighting applications. A freezer, whether a small unit in a convenience store or a much larger line of units grouped together as one long stretch of freezers, needs specialized lighting that can meet these unique needs. Here are a few helpful tips for choosing the right freezer lighting applications for your location.
- Choose cost efficiency over time instead of initial cost as the deciding factor. For most supermarkets, especially large-scale operations, the freezer units are the biggest energy draws in the location. In fact, it is estimated that some grocery stores have an energy bill where over half of the annual cost of operations is directly related just to the freezer and refrigeration units alone. Look for the lighting solution that will give you the best lumen output per watt of energy consumed for the best value.
- Move away from fluorescent. While fluorescent were once the standard for this area of lighting thanks to their improved efficiency per watt over older options, the new trend is to choose LED for freezer lighting applications. The reason fluorescents are no longer a viable option for this type of lighting need is because they are not designed to handle extreme temperatures well. In fact, they can lose up to 25% of their lighting output in frigid temperatures. LED lights are much better at handling the cold without losing lumen output which makes them a better investment.
- Consider your freezer type. Not all freezers are the units you see at the grocery store in the frozen food section. Freezer lighting can also refer to the much larger freezer found in the backhouse area of restaurants, grocery stores, and other cold storage units. For this area of lighting, you will want to invest in lighting that comes with a cage to protect your bulb. When receiving and organizing deliveries, there will be a risk for accidently hitting the bulb if a delivery is stacked too high. You can avoid this concern altogether with lighting that uses a protective cage design.
- Make sure lighting is UL listed for wet locations. Freezers can have condensation and vapors that will take a toll on lighting solutions. Another good idea is to choose lighting that is sealed or well-gasketed to avoid internal failures of the solution. In fact, many locations choose to utilize vapor tight options to avoid any issues regarding this type of lighting.
- Don’t forget sensors can save you money. Sensors will shut the light off when the door is not open which will save you money on lighting costs. A god bet is to install multiple sensors per unit to ensure the most savings.
This area of lighting can be expensive for many businesses. With the right lighting solution in place from the beginning, you can avoid costly repairs and replacements while getting a great return on the initial investment of lighting products.You May Also Like...
4FT LED Vapor Tight Fixture, 5323 Lumens, CCT and Wattage Selectable, 120-277V
Looking to change your refrigeration and cooler lighting to LED? We have the install lighting kits to make this happen. DLC an UL compliant for rebate and longevity, these kits are easy to install and last a very, very long time. Big discounts and FREE shipping on qualified purchases.View (2) Products
Order resilient vapor tight LED lights online. Perfect for harsh environments and available in multiple types, our vapor proof LED light fixtures provide ample illumination for indoor or outdoor applications. Buy your LED vapor tight lighting from Warehouse-Lighting today!View (63) Products
Order vapor tight jelly jar light fixtures online at Warehouse-Lighting. We have a large selection of LED jelly jar lights with cages that provide great illumination while remaining durable in tough conditions. Browse our entire collection of vapor tight jelly jar LED lights online today!View (21) Products
Lighting can become a costly endeavor for most businesses. For locations including coolers as part of their storage solution, there are a few key elements to finding the perfect option. This is an ...Read Article
As a restaurant owner, finding the right lights for your business may seem overwhelming. When it comes to getting the right solutions in terms of fixtures and placement, it is important to know the...Read Article
From the area behind the bar to where the patrons sit, there are a few aspects to bar lighting. Read on for tips to improve this area!Read Article
High Bay Vapor Tight T5/T8 Lighting Fixtures
When it comes to finding the right lighting solution, you should first consider if it is an indoor or outdoor area. The area will always determine the lighting solution options. With our h...Watch Video
Industrial Vapor Tight Lighting Options
When it comes to lighting solutions of incomparable value, one of the best solutions can be found in our industrial vapor tight lighting options. With this type of lighting, you get a powe...Watch Video