Every location has its own unique lighting needs. These needs dictate which fixtures and lamp types are ideal for the space. When it comes to nail salon lighting, there are a few options better suited to this environment worth noting.
When looking at the fixture options best suited to nail salon lighting, there are a few types that stand out as ideal. These are the most commonly used light fixtures in this setting and many can be mixed and matched to create the best in layering light for a pleasing effect.
- Recessed Troffers. Since a nail salon needs to present a clean, streamlined appearance while also having ample illumination for employees and customers, recessed troffers are a great choice. They are placed directly inside the ceiling for a pleasing look that is also easy to keep clean. The troffer style also offers a wide light spread for even, consistent light.
- Wall Sconces. For a look that is pleasing and inviting, wall sconces are a good choice. These can be placed throughout the nail salon for an elevated appearance and additional light or placed only where needed such as doorways and hallways. These are ideal because they offer a pleasing mix of up and down light while giving a more attractive appearance over troffer lights. Best of all, wall sconces are easy to mix with troffers for a layered lighting plan.
- Recessed Can. Similar to recessed troffers in that they are placed within the ceiling, can lights are a smaller, more decorative option that still offers a concentrated light. Ideal for areas where tasks are performed, such as above the area where technicians do manicures, these lights offer extra illumination while elevating the overall appearance of the space.
- Decorative in Various Mounts. While functionality is the main goal of a light fixture, some fixtures are more about decorative appeal than overall function. From decorative bulbs to hanging light fixtures with a modern design sure to excite customers, decorative lighting can be mounted and placed in several ways to help make the most of this unique space.
The matter of the lamps and fixtures are closely related, but today's market allows for more versatility than ever when looking for an LED fixture. Here are a few things to keep in mind for nail salon lighting lamps.
- Color Temperature. The color temperature is how warm (yellow) or cool (white-blue) the light is to the human eye. This matters a great deal in a nail salon setting. If the color temperature is too warm, the colors of the polish will have a yellow tinge which can make it harder to see the colors. If the color temperature is closer to the blue-white end of the spectrum or too cool, the colors will be washed out. While there is no specific color temperature that is right for your preferences, trying to stay somewhere in the middle range is better than choosing a more extreme temperature. A good tip is to keep the color temperature consistent throughout the space for the best results.
- Number of Lamps. When considering lamps, the number of lamps is important. If you are considering multi-lamp fixtures, the use of more than one lamp will add to the overall lumen output and brightness in the space. For larger spaces, opt for 3 or 4 lamp options to make the most of the fixture and provide ample light spread.
- Color Rendering Index. The color rendering index is especially important in a nail salon since the need to tell the difference between various colors is crucial to the job. The color rendering index determines how well a lamp differentiates between similar colors. A higher rating is better than a lower rating so aim for at least a CRI of 80 or higher. LED offers some of the highest CRI options on the market today.
Makeup Application Lighting
Creating the right lighting solutions for any space requires some careful planning. When it comes to which lighting is best for makeup application, there are a few considerations to keep in mind fo...Read Article
From color rendering to mount type, our tips on pharmacy lighting are here to help. Find out more on this topic here!Read Article
When choosing lighting for any type of business, there are certain features you want to keep in mind. Lighting can be used to create an atmosphere that will attract customers. As a business owner, ...Read Article