There are few places where proper lighting is more crucial than in a surgical operating room. Without proper visibility and illumination to support the efforts of the staff, one wrong move could lead to catastrophic results for patients. When it comes to operating room lighting, there are a few matters to keep in mind to choose the right solutions. While the medical grade, examination system or surgical light head will act as the main source of surgical table light, considerations should still be given to the other lighting elements in the room. Proper lighting is always achieved in layers with several different components working together to achieve the overall lighting effect. Here are a few suggestions to master this tricky area of lighting.
- When choosing the general lighting elements for this area, fixtures should always be ceiling mounted. This area of the hospital shouldn’t have any extra items taking up floor space or being positioned in a way that they create a hazard. While you could use other types of fixtures, the best choice is definitely recessed options for a smooth look that is easy to clean. More importantly, recessed lighting fixtures create fewer shadows than a surface mounted or pendant mounted fixture.
- Choose multiple lamp options to avoid total lamp failure. If a lamp burns out in a single lamp unit, the whole fixture is disabled. With multiple lamp options, some of the illumination may become diminished, but not all of it which is helpful.
- In an operating room, heat is a problem due to the sensitive nature of the work being performed. Excessive heat from lamps can lead to overheated staff, higher levels of distractions, and patient discomfort. The key is to choose overhead lights that offer low heat emissions such as LED solutions. It should also be noted that lighting should be chosen that is low in UV energy emissions to avoid affecting the tissue of an open body cavity or disrupting body temperature which can lead to severe consequences.
- While shatterproof and vapor proof lighting is usually used in areas dealing with chemicals, it makes perfect sense in this setting as well. If an overhead lens were to shatter for some reason in this scenario, it could lead to dire consequences. A shatterproof overhead light directly over the surgical table can add peace of mind for the staff and patient.
- Choose a cooler color index for the best visibility. While you want to stay away from too much bluish light, white light will give a more unobstructed view of the task at hand and less of a colored filter appearance than having warmer light tones. A good rule of thumb for overhead operating room lighting is to aim for around 5000 Kelvins.
You May Also Like...
Other People Have Considered These Products...
You May Also Be Interested in These Articles...
Hospital Bed Lighting
When it comes to adequate lighting, there are few places it is more important than in a hospital setting. Visibility is key when dealing with the health of patients which means selecting the right ...Read Article
Hospital Nursery Lighting
Lighting is important in hospital settings since visibility is key to patient health. When it comes to hospital nursery lighting, there is a fine balance between having the illumination that works ...Read Article
Hospital Waiting Room Lighting
A hospital is a place of healing, but it is also a place of great stress for a patient and their family. When it comes to lighting for hospital waiting rooms, there are a few measures which can mak...Read Article
Consider Watching These Videos as Well...
Suspended Linear LED Lights
Watch our Suspended Linear LED Lights Product Review video. Our videos will educate you so that you can confidently purchase and install LED light fixtures, whether they are for a new installation ...Watch Video
Center Basket Troffer
Finding the right lighting solution can be difficult. With our center basket troffer, get the performance you deserve with a fixture that looks great at the same time.Watch Video
LCD LED Center Basket Troffer
Lighting is an important aspect of any setting. When it comes to finding an LED option perfect for your retail or office location, our LCD LED center basket troffer is a great option.Watch Video