LED Basics

Light Emitting Diodes (LED)

With their lower energy consumption and impressive longevity, light emitting diode (LED) fixtures have become a popular staple on all fronts of lighting ranging from industrial to residential. Operating in a highly efficient manner, LEDs are often to the go-to solution for locations looking to save on utility costs. What makes this lighting solution somewhat superior? Let’s take a look at a few LED basics to get a better understanding of this popular lighting option.

LED Operation

A LED operates in a different manner than most other lighting solutions. While other light sources have a filament, which carries the energy to convert it into lumens, LEDs operate without a filament. They also produce very little heat and have better energy to lumen ratios. For instance, other types of lighting solutions might convert 80% of all energy consumed to create heat and only the remainder of 20% of the energy used might create actual illumination. A LED uses 80% of the energy it consumes to create light. A LED also lacks the humming and rattling noise during operation that is associated with other types of lamps.

LED Output

While many people think of bright, white light when they think of a LED, the color temperature range is actually more versatile with a LED than other solution types. In fact, the LEDs were originally used in red for warning lights. LED colors can vary and come in several colors now with the cooler white still being a popular choice. Aside from their varied color temperature scale, LED is a popular choice because the output offers a pleasing color rendering. The color rendering index (CRI) can greatly impact the way objects look under lighting which is an essential configuration in commercial lighting. The CRI on a LED can easily fall within the 90 CRI range which equates with an excellent color fidelity.

LED Life

One of the longest lasting options on the market, LED solutions are heralded for their impressive lifespans. With an average life rating of anywhere from 25,000 hours to 100,000 hours, one of the most important of the LED basics is the staying power. Not only is the lifespan longer than most other lighting solutions, the output quality stays relatively the same. When the average life rating is determined, it is usually an estimate of how many hours at full capacity before lighting levels are diminished to half of the lamps. This means you get the average life rating of hours at a high quality of lumen output for a reliable lighting solution. LEDs also have longer lifespans because they are less likely to shatter from overheating since they run at cooler temperatures.

You May Also Like... Other People Have Considered These Products...
View our Light Bulbs collection

Bright LED Light Bulbs for Sale

Shop our large selection of discounted light bulbs. We have the shapes, sizes and base types you are looking.

View (529) Products
View our LED Tube Lights collection.

LED Tube Light Bulbs

Shop our large selection of discounted ballast bypass and ballast compatible, T8 and T5 LED tube lights in 1, 2, 3 and 4 foot lengths.

View (58) Products
View our LED Corn Lights collection.

Corn Cob LED Bulbs

A cheap way to convert shoebox, wall pack, area, flood, cobra head lights and more to LED is to use our economical corn lights and bulbs. Just rewire the fixture, screw in and you're done quickly!

View (60) Products