The popularity of gooseneck and barn lighting continues to rise, as the superb aesthetics of these models — both in the fixtures themselves, and in the lighting options they provide — have never found more fitting applications. With LED barn & gooseneck lights models, powerful illumination, efficiency, and durability now feature among the advantages gooseneck styles offer. Gooseneck fixtures have long been a favorite for outdoor barn lights, but they’ve also become a go-to choice for indoor and industrial applications as well.
As you know, most gooseneck lighting is wall mounted, with a decorative, curved arm to extend the light source, and a matching shade that helps cast light precisely where it’s needed. With goosenecks, you can frame the lighting area through selection of the intensity and direction of your light source, in combination with the arm length and shade style. That’s a lot of flexibility. …And yes, a lot to think about when you’re laying out an indoor or outdoor space.
For indoor applications, gooseneck lights are often combined with stem- or cord-hung pendant models to smartly vary the overall look, and complete the lighting scheme. This has become a classic look for barn light fixtures, industrial sites, and restaurants, bars, and showrooms. Goosenecks have also always been a favorite option for signage. They can contribute tremendous character to signs of all kinds, while also improving overall visibility.
Here are a few important thoughts to bear in mind when you’re choosing a gooseneck fixture for your needs:
- Think “space-first”:There’s no doubt that gooseneck and barn lights have always created a relaxed, rustic, and “lived-in” vibe — and they provide great advantages for framing & directing light where you need it. No wonder space-designers choose them so often. Make sure you analyze your space and your lighting needs before starting to narrow down your choices. With gooseneck lighting especially, you want to think “space-first” as you examine your options.
- Up to code? Once you have your needs assessed and style-options down, you’ll want to think about the illumination requirements and safety codes before finalizing your choices. If you’re lighting and “cozying-up” an outdoor space with gooseneck barn lights, verify the fixture’s ratings to ensure it can handle exposure to significant heat, rain, sun, and wind. Also make sure to check the IP rating for dust- and water-proof capabilities, as well as the UL listing for use in locations exposed to rain, fog or other moisture sources.
- How to properly position and mount gooseneck lights. Mounting gooseneck lights is a matter of getting the reach you need, and directing and controlling the light with the right lamp-bulb and shade. When choosing the neck or “arm,” make sure to consider the length of the overall fixture and the lighted area. To begin with, arms should be long enough to assure the shade won’t contact the wall. After that, how far the arm extends from the wall is all about your space and how you want everything to look when it’s fully lit. Usually, you’ll also want to have a wide enough lighting radius to avoid shadowed spaces along the walls, or darkened entry or passage ways.
- Gooseneck lights draw attention.While gooseneck fixtures can be used for general lighting purposes, they’re also perfect for drawing attention to signs, doorways, displays, or other areas of interest. If you’re planning to use a gooseneck or barn style light to get more first and second looks, make sure you take good measurements, so you get light everywhere you need it. Avoid any safety hazards by making sure your gooseneck lights don’t create hiding spaces for tables, doors, steps or any other objects that can go bump in the dark.
- How many gooseneck lights do you need for your sign? You can always measure your sign and consult with our experts (just send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org). We’ll help assure that lighting for your sign is evenly and fully distributed. After all, we don’t want you to turn your MOTEL into a MOTE!
- Get the style right — then make sure it will LAST. Whether you’re looking for an exterior fixture, outdoor application like a dock, or lighting up entryways and interiors, make sure you choose a securely-gasketed model, with a durable exterior that helps prevent damage. As with any other application, for barn lights and gooseneck lighting, you want to match the fixture to the environment it will be used in. Beautiful fixtures and picture-perfect lighting are half the story: the rest is the return on your lighting investment through the years. Make sure your fixture is designed and rated for all the conditions — and all the years — you have planned for it. One thing is for sure: they’ll ALWAYS be in style!
How can we help?
At warehouse-lighting.com, we provide a Free Lighting Design and Layout Service. Given the many variables involved in pulling together a great look with gooseneck and barn lighting options, we think this service is great for helping you get your basic design laid out and choices narrowed to several excellent alternatives. We’ll be happy to help you assess your space and lighting needs, choose the right gooseneck fixtures for your application, and make sure that everything’s perfect when you flick the switch to bring the classic and cozy vibe of gooseneck lighting to your space. Drop us a line!
Millennium Lighting 14" Warehouse Shade With Selected Goose Neck Mount and Wire Guard (Available in Bronze, Galvanized, Black, Red, Green and White Finishes)
Millennium Lighting RLM 10" Angle Shade (Available in Bronze, Galvanized, Black, Red, Green and White Finishes)
Bakersville Collection - One Light Outdoor Pendant | Finish: Black - 60941-12
With vintage style, barn lighting is sure to spruce up offices, industrial spaces and homes alike. Gooseneck light fixtures and barn lights are available for indoor and outdoor use. If you want the best gooseneck and outdoor barn lights, check out Warehouse-Lighting.com now!View (237) Products
Every location has its own unique needs in terms of lighting. For barn lighting applications, this is especially true since there are live animals involved. This area needs lighting that is effecti...Read Article
Equestrian Barn Lighting
The best type of lighting for your needs will always depend on the location. For example, when it comes to equestrian barn lighting, there are a few important factors unique to the location which w...Read Article
Dock & Boardwalk Gooseneck Lighting Ideas
There are several types of lights that are perfect for lighting docks and or public boardwalk. One that I see used a lot is gooseneck lights mounted off a j box and a 4 x 4 posts. This tends to be ...Read Article
Gooseneck and Rustic Lighting
Finding lighting that helps create a mood with its stylish appearance can be tough to find when you also want dependable performance. With our selection of gooseneck and rustic lighting so...Watch Video
LED Shoebox Lights
Watch our LED Shoebox Light Product Review video. Our videos will educate you so that you can confidently purchase and install LED light fixtures, whether they are for a new installation or the ...Watch Video